15 December 2011

Not crazy anymore! :) Intuitive Eating

I just want to say thanks to Claire. I'm scared, but quitting calorie counting too! :) I am going to even delete the calorie counting apps on my iPod :O
I know this probably sounds like another diet, but what the hell, I'm going to give it a try anyway. Intuitive eating. Sounds pretty solid. I am going to give it a shot, but weigh (once) every day (just because I already do, except maybe not during that time of month lol). And not count calories/measure stuff (at least, not religiously like I do now. I'll probably still measure stuff like sugar for my oatmeal and oil for cooking because stuff like that's not really noticeable, and easy to take more than I need. And if I'm following a recipe or eating some kind of delicious food that it's easy to eat too much of, like vegan ice cream)

Basic ideas:
Eat whatever you are craving, whenever you're hungry.
Stop when you're "full" (full="not hungry", not "unable to stand up/couldn't possibly eat another bite if your life depended on it"). The internet says eat when you're at "0" (I probably won't let myself get this hungry, at least not at first) and stop when you're at 5 (comfortable, not full). 10 is like binge/thanksgiving/all you can eat sushi.
Eat sitting down, no distractions, slowly.
I'm going to try to stick to healthy, whole, unprocessed foods, but if I'm craving some candy or something processed I'll have a serving.
I'm also going to try to sort of take it easy on the exercise. I mean, karate 3 hours a week? Sure. Running and half marathon training? Sold. Going to the gym to lift weights and get stronger? Yeah! But exercising by stepping off and on a stack of textbooks while studying just so I can burn more calories and staying up half the night to do it even though my knee hurts and my thighs are exhausted-tired? Probably not... I might still occasionally do this, because I think it helps me think, but not if it hurts or if I'd rather sleep or I just feel like I ate too much.
I'm going to give this a try for about the next month. It sounds pretty good though I think. The only thing will be, figuring out hunger levels and stuff. I feel like this will help with that whole "eat nothing some days not even water and everything you can stuff in your mouth other days" thing.
Update again after exams! I am half done, I had two yesterday and one today and one tomorrow. And then I get to go home!

3 comments:

  1. YAY! I'm so excited you're giving this a go :) It's hard to work out your true hunger at first but you'll get there, just don't stop trying, never give up on yourself.
    I think easing up on the exercise sounds like a very positive thing.
    Good luck! If I can ever help all you need to do is ask xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just in case you noticed that I deleted some of my comments on your blog, and found it weird, it's because I'm no longer blogging anon and don't want people to see some of the stuff I wrote.
    I still mean every word I said though. :)
    Hope things are going well for you, have a great day. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. that's also why I'm comenting on a post from way back... so people won't find it.

    ReplyDelete