22 May 2011

Elephants and trauma

I just watched David Suzuki's the nature of things. It's a bunch of documentaries and this one was called For the Love of Elephants. It was about baby elephants who had been orphaned and these people in Africa rescue them, care for them and eventually release them to a wild herd. It was very interesting, to see that baby elephants react to trauma very similar to how people do. They can even develop something like PTSD. It showed how they interact and how their families work. It was just very interesting. That's something I'd love to get into when I grow up, taking care of wildlife, making a difference. Here's the website for the organization that was taking care of the orphaned elephants: (if it doesn't work, try googling the David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust) http://www.sheldrickwildlifetrust.org/index.asp
They have stories about the elephants they've saved, how they got them, how they started out.

That's all for now. All that's interesting anyway.
Intake: 1490 + vitamins
Exercise: worked 3 hours, may do some squats/ab workout later...
I cleaned my aquarium today, and found that it's infested with little worms. I think they're planaria, harmless to the fish. But they look awful and scary. There are tons of them! I didn't notice them before because they were hiding in the gravel bottom. They look like tiny white swimming strings, probably caused by excess nutrients in the water (ie possibly the driftwood or from the live plants). I can't get them out of my head, it freaks me out. I'm really thirsty but don't want to drink anything in case there's planaria in it. Which is dumb, since there wouldn't be planaria in our well water. Still. My anxious mind worries about dumb things.
First day at work went ok today.
Take care <3

No comments:

Post a Comment